Download our new OH&S Information Booklet more...
Facts & Figures
- 477,800 workers in Australia suffered some form of work-related injury in the year leading up to September 2000, as reported by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
- $34.3 billion was the cost to the Australian economy for the year 2000/01, according to the National Occupational Health & Safety Commission (NOHSC)
- Approximately 9 million days are lost each year as a result of these work-related injuries (NOHSC)
- Employers are financially accountable for workplace injury
- This premium varies from state to state but it is generally a direct reflection of an employer’s claims history
- The greater number of work-related injuries, the higher the premium to be paid by the employer
Our OH&S Consultants are all physiotherapists and occupational therapists with extensive experience in workplace assessment & training. In recent years, Smart Health has provided OH&S services for companies as large and diverse as Orlando Wyndham, Alcoa, Electrolux, Hardy’s, RAA & AirBP.
- Employee assessment & treatment
- Onsite or at Smart Health in the clinic
- Employee training & manual handling programs - by assessing workplace environments before training sessions and using video analysis of employees’ movement patterns, our training sessions leave each employee with useful and practical information that can be immediately applied to their work practices
- Workplace coaching & health promotion - often workplace training can be used to affect workplace culture & employee health, rather than specific manual handling tasks
- Workplace assessment - OH&S legislation places responsibility on the employer to provide a safe working environment for their employees. We can provide assessment & reporting on the safety of any workplace, which can involve an audit of an entire workplace, or of a particular task within a workplace
Our experience extends from factories, to offices, to radiological clinics and whilst most of us think of manual handling in the context of heavy, physical jobs, OH&S is just as important in office jobs, where sedentary workstations present significant challenges to employees’ bodies.
Employee Training & Manual Handling Programs
Our teaching & training strategies focus strongly on giving employees knowledge & awareness, so that they can make responsible decisions. Our training programs are designed specifically for each worksite, with the emphasis on relevance of the program to each employee.
Technology allows us to film employees performing manual handling tasks during the training session, then immediately playback this footage to analyse individual movement patterns. This immediately identifies dangerous movement patterns currently in use, decreasing injury risk. It also makes our training programs very personal, allowing each employee to relate the training back to their own body and their own workplace. Where possible, video footage is taken of the workplace prior to the training program, allowing us to further tailor the training program to that site.
Workplace coaching programs.
Often workplace safety is as much about encouraging healthy employees as it is about the workplace.
Our MateSafe program is designed to encourage a workplace culture where good work practices are encouraged, employees look out for one another and safe behaviour is recognised and rewarded. Its main focus is to place some responsibility for employee health in the hands of the employees and to make work safety a team approach, with synergies created between management & staff.
More and more companies are recognising that the single largest precursor to work injury is poor employee health & fitness. Rather than dismissing this as a factor out of their control, companies are instituting health promotion programs to encourage healthy behaviour in their employees not just at work, but in their lives away from work. These programs are designed as a sequence of on-site seminars, addressing subjects such as nutrition, fitness, medical check-ups, drug use & injury management.